Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stress relief??

I (Jen) wonder how many of us use exercise as a means of relieveing the stress of our day to day activities. At this point, many of you have heard me bemoaning my poor son's less than stellar transition from preschooler to kindergartner. I apologize now for excessive discussion of my children, but while we have had some great reports home, I can't really say it's going as smoothly as I'd like. He's mine and I love him but he's a stinker too. Of course this situation weighs heavily on my mind. Most of the time I at least have a small part of my brain wondering how his day is going. Is he having fun, is he miserable, is he being yelled at right now, are kids picking on him and he gets busted retaliating? If I let myself, I can get pretty (dare I say excessively?) worked up about this at any given moment, including when I'm trying to go to sleep at night. It's a problem.

Miracle of miracles, after powerflow yoga tonight I realized that I hadn't thought about Connor at all during class. Phew. It's so nice to have a place where I can finally turn that worry completely off. This is really not a new or unique discovery, but it is a great reminder. Many, many people use exercise as a form of stress management or release. We see them in here pounding their frustration out on the treadmill or spinner, or maybe relaxing the tension away during a yoga session. Members come in saying "I need [fill in the blank]." My experience tonight is proof that it can work. Stressful, busy lives are not an excuse for less activity. Stressful, busy lives are the reason we need exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment