Monday, September 12, 2011

Staying active

Over my (Jen) time at the fitness center I have encountered various members commenting on what regular exercise has brought to their lives. I think they were referring to an increased ability to carry on with their everyday tasks. An example would be yoga making it easier to see over one's shoulder while backing out of the driveway or the nustep strengthening a member enough so that she can vacuum her house and not have to pay someone else to do it for her. I notice that as well for myself. I can get on the floor and stay on the floor much more comfortably these days than back before I started doing yoga on a regular basis. Woo-hoo!

We love to hear those stories and also we love to hear about the bigger stuff too. I occasionally see members that started off dependant on their canes no longer even carrying them. I hear about the relief from sore muscles after getting out and moving a little each day. One member has golfed this summer after a several year hiatus thanks to the time she put in on the elliptical. Love it, love it, love it!

We have to be active to stay active. If we take to our chairs, we're done for, it's only a matter of time before we can't do the big or even the little things for ourselves. It's imporant to recognize that our exercise habits have a big influence over our ability levels. We want to hear about what exercise has brought to you. Feel free to leave your comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment