Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The beauty of cork

We have had a victory today! The final piece of the cork flooring in our new yoga space was installed today. I (Jen) can't even tell you how pleased I am with the final look. I'm not alone in this. Lots of people have been popping their heads in and making positive comments. In fact, today Cory took a sample home to consider for her kitchen.

I've learned quite a bit in the last few days, so allow me to share... This stuff is amazingly light, which makes it great for the individuals installing it. Imagine carrying a waste basket full of oak flooring vs. one full of cork. I recently installed oak in my attic and there was no way I could have carried one nearly so easily. I've learned the reason why is that cork is basically made up of air-filled cells. Also, cork is much more environmentally friendly as the flooring is actually made up of the bark. The rest of the tree is left intact and the bark will regrow. Obviously the ethos of yoga lends itself to green practices so it makes this new floor all the more appropriate. Cork is also soft, scratch resistant, sound absorbent, warm, and we have been told that furniture will not leave an impression. Interesting, right!?

I feel like a sales-person but I have found this product to be very fascinating. Of course I had a cork board filled with push-pins in my room as a little girl. I've heard of cork floors as a newer trend on TV, but you never know how things are going to look in real life. Let me tell you, this doesn't look like the cork boards of old and it doesn't look like some super modern space that will be out of fashion in two years. So how does it look? It looks perfect for a yoga space, that's how! Come see for yourself at our open house on Monday and Tuesday next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment