Monday, July 25, 2011

Stinking crabgrass!

Not quite two years ago my family and I (Jen) made a big move across town to a house that had sat empty for a little over a year. The gravel drive had been given very little attention and some sections had been all but lost to weeds. During prime weed growing season last summer, I was hugely pregnant and not interested in doing anything about it. This year, however, I have started the battle. It's a huge amount of space to take care of, and pulling weeds in gravel can tear up your hands if you're not careful. So I do a little at a time, waiting for the shade and working around my family's needs. There are times I get to busy and get out of the habit and all of a sudden the whole drive is weedy again. Sometimes I feel like I work for an hour or more and you can't even tell that I was there at all. The crabgrass has enjoyed this last rain storm so yesterday I went out again. I got a bit of a rhythm pulling a handful, then pushing the baby in the swing, back and forth, back and forth. It worked and while there is still a lot more to be done (and probably always will be) visible progress was made. Hooray!

It's the same for weight loss or really any health goal. It takes time, commitment, work, and patience. We have to fit it in between everything else we are juggling and results aren't always immediately obvious. Sometimes life gets away from us and the spread seems to be winning. We have to stay positive and determined. Remaining diligent and chipping away a little at a time adds up to big progress in the big picture. Exercising or watching what we eat is not always what we want to be doing, but if we want to enjoy the benefits of the results, we have to stay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment